You’re mistaken if you assume Android Auto is solely for people who have enough money to buy a brand new automobile. Because there is now a thriving aftermarket head unit market that can be put fast and simply into most vehicles, updating the interior and providing substantial Android compatibility to the dash. Even old cars with a sliver of a music system can now be outfitted with a huge touchscreen that seamlessly links with an Android phone to provide hands-free Google Assistant interaction, navigation, and on-the-go entertainment.
If you want to use Android Auto in your car to make driving easier and less distracting, you’ll need a compatible smartphone and a compatible vehicle. That is to say, your vehicle must have an entertainment system that supports Android Auto; otherwise, you won’t be able to utilize it. While most modern automobiles come with Android Auto built-in, certain older vehicles may lack. In this instance, replacing your car’s entertainment system with a new aftermarket Android Auto head unit is the best solution.
Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX Double DIN Wireless Mirroring Android Auto
- Did/CD receiver with Internal amp (14 watts RMS cea-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- Built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming; supports two phones at once
- Siri eyes free with compatible devices
The W4500NEX is more expensive than many of its competitors, but it has a good feature set and is incredibly easy to use. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are available wirelessly, thanks to the system’s superb Bluetooth connectivity. The Pioneer is a joy to use on a regular basis because it starts up quickly and connects seamlessly.
There’s also Amazon Alexa integration, which allows you to get news, weather, and interact with other Alexa devices. The Pioneer does not include a backup camera in the box, which is a drawback. The connections are all there, and the head unit even has backup guidelines, but you’ll have to pay for the camera separately. The good news is that the Pioneer features SiriusXM, HDMI, and other inputs, allowing you to use it as a powerful multimedia center in your vehicle. This is the Best Android Auto Head Unit in 2022.
Alpine iLX-W650 Compatible with CarPlay & Android Auto
- shallow-mount chassis design (2-7/16" deep)
- designed to work with CarPlay and Android Auto
- hands-free control lets you access apps using your voice
With the iLX-W650, Alpine achieved a perfect mix of affordability and capability. The head unit is inexpensive and includes most of the capabilities that customers expect from a modern stereo. Alpine’s user interface is simple and intuitive, with lots of audio features for those who prefer to tinker with settings and tweak sound.
However, unlike Pioneer, the stereo does not allow the same level of color and layout customization. Physical controls are included on the Alpine iLX-W650, making it simple to operate the unit while driving. The microphone and USB inputs have ample of wiring, making installation a pleasure. Because of the unit’s narrow shape, it can be put in compact areas with minimal open space beneath the dash. This is the Best Android Auto Head Units in 2022.
Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX Multimedia Receiver with 10.1″ HD Capacitive Touch Floating Display
- 10.1" Floating Display with HD Screen Resolution
- 1-DIN Chassis
- Amazon Alexa Built-in
The Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX isn’t inexpensive, but it’s one of the most feature-rich models on the market today. It’s also one of the few aftermarket head units that can match the infotainment systems found in new cars straight from the factory. The 10.1-inch touchscreen is bright and visible from practically anywhere in the vehicle. The huge display, on the other hand, can limit your ability to install in some circumstances because it can block other controllers or displays.
Pioneer included two camera inputs, allowing you to use forward and reverse cameras, as well as the option to use photos as backgrounds. Although there is no built-in SiriusXM receiver, you’ll need to purchase one separately to listen to satellite radio, the machine does offer memory card ports and can play a variety of music file types.
Sony XAV-AX3200 6.95″ Media Receiver with WebLink Cast
- Mirror and control selected smartphone apps with WebLink Cast
- Anti-glare touchscreen with quick boot
- A/V input for an external audio and visual source device
The Sony XAV-AX3200 is a home run in terms of value and capability. It can be put in a single-DIN unit because to its small size, and it supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. It also has amenities like SiriusXM radio and WebLink that are usually reserved for more expensive models. Sony included tactile buttons for rapid access to volume, tuning, and settings, making it simple to operate while driving. The Sony has a smaller screen than some other units due to its low price, but it is snappy and looks beautiful from practically any angle.
Despite the Sony’s single-DIN construction, the screen is still 9.5 inches, so make sure you have enough place to install it. Sony does, however, supply all of the necessary connections for setting up inputs, a rearview camera, and other devices. Sony’s quick wake-up feature is also included in the XAV-AX3200, allowing the device to swiftly get up to speed once the car is started.
JVC KW-Z1000W Bluetooth Car Stereo Receiver with USB Port
- GENERAL FEATURES: 10.1" floating high definition (HD) capacitive touchscreen display, Wi-Fi certified, Waze-ready with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto,...
- BLUETOOTH and SMARTPHONE FEATURES: Compatible with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto (wireless or wired), hands-free calling and audio streaming with dual...
- AUDIO/VIDEO FEATURES: 13-band equalizer with digital time alignment, K2 technology improves the digital sound for all music sources, subwoofer level,...
The JVC KW-Z1000W has a super small design that makes installation a snap, and its huge screen means it can be used in virtually any car. Tilting and position adjustments allow you to fine-tune the screen angle for the optimal view, and live wallpapers allow you to match the screen appearance to the current playlist. JVC provides two smartphone connections and four camera inputs, allowing off-roaders and city slickers to connect to external perspectives.
Many customers note that extra components, like as wiring adapters and harnesses, are required to install the JVC. Others have reported that the unit came out of the box lacking important installation components, so double-check before starting an installation. Finally, many users claim that the screen attracts dirt like no other, so bring a microfiber cloth with you to clean fingerprints.
Kenwood DMX706S 7″ Digital Media Receiver with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay is a safer way to use your iPhone in the car. Simply talk to Siri or touch the receiver's display to get directions from Apple Maps,...
- Android Auto was designed with safety in mind, helping you to minimize distractions and stay focused on the road. KENWOOD's multimedia receivers...
- Up to 5 Bluetooth devices can be connected to the receiver at the same time, allowing you to take turns streaming music with your friends and family.
The Kenwood Excelon head unit has a crisp 6.95-inch touchscreen display and superb functionality. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are integrated, as well as Waze integration with Pandora and Spotify controls. However, because the Kenwood is a double-DIN device, you’ll need to be careful of your vehicle’s constraints while installing it, and it, like other big-screen systems, may obscure other buttons and controls.
Kenwood incorporated physical controls to the Excelon device, just like the others on our list, to allow rapid access to numerous features, such as settings and the main menu. When a rearview camera is installed, the Kenwood also provides parking directions, which is a feature not commonly found in aftermarket displays. The screen is glare-resistant and highly visible, although it attracts fingerprints. However, the machine is responsive and snappy, and the tactile controls make using it while driving less distracting.
BOSS Audio Systems BCPA10
- Apple CarPlay - Access icons on your iPhone by activating Siri voice controls or touchscreen. Available features include Phone, Music, Maps, Text...
- Messages - With Siri on your side, you can ask her to read you your messages, reply as well as send them. Siri lets you concentrate on what matters...
- Maps - Need gas? Hungry? Search along your route by asking Siri, and CarPlay will direct you every step of the way and tell you the speed limit too....
The Boss audio system is the next inexpensive auto head unit. It is Boss’s most recent head unit, and it features a large 10.1-inch capacitive touchscreen display that is both elegant and beautiful. Both Android Auto and CarPlay are fantastic! Both are fully integrated into the vehicle’s entertainment system and allow drivers of any age to safely use their phones while driving.
With no DVD player jacks or inserts, this system can be wall mounted in any vehicle location without taking up too much space! Playback is enhanced with modern connectivity options including wireless FM radio, giving you outstanding music quality wherever you go. You’ll only get high-resolution FLAC audio, which will please audiophiles of all ages.
Compatible steering wheel controls allow drivers to adjust volume at any time, eliminating the need for hands-on work at stoplights or during obstacles.